Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Typography Typography Typography

This week I learned a lot more about Typography in inDesign.  I wonder are all graphic designers super excited about typefaces and typography? There are so many nitty gritty details about typography and how to make it just so within a page layout. I have to say this is not the kind of thing that makes me excited! However, that’s not to say it isn’t useful. I’m a much more image oriented person. After watching the videos about typography, I can see how important it is to look at the image it creates with it’s white spaces, gutters, margins, etc. and how it interacts with the other elements on the page.

I’m definitely interested to watch the video lesson about grids. The Typography Part 2 went into it very briefly.  I can see how having a grid layout can create a rhythm and flow of type and images in a layout and how breaking that rhythm could add some visual contrast. 


I just wish it didn’t take me 5+ hours to get through a 2.5hr video. I am seriously so slow because I am trying to follow along and take notes about important information, as well as follow along in inDesign. 


I have been thinking lately about instruction from videos vs. instruction from books. I worry that I’ll have watched something on a video and then later when I need to remember how to do it, I won’t have that information or remember where it was in which video. I don’t know how long I’ll have access to the linkedIn Learning videos. I can’t access the canvas modules from previous weeks so any embedded videos are gone for me unless I bookmarked them in my browser.  A book on the other hand can be highlighted and referred back to quite easily, but it pales in its ability to demonstrate like videos do. I wish there were a happy medium, like a video series with accompanying written reference notes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Online Learning

This morning I saw that I had received incompletes for not responding to any of my classmates discussion responses, and a teacher comment sa...